Planning and Zoning Commission
There is hereby established a Planning and Zoning Commission. Said Planning and Zoning Commission shall consist of seven (7) members appointed by the President and the Village Board of the Village of Richton Park.
Each member shall be appointed to serve a term of five (5) years. Vacancies shall be filled by the Village Board for an unexpired term. Members may be removed by the Village Board for cause after written charges have been filed and after a public hearing has been held if demanded by the member so charged.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall be deemed to be the “Board of Appeals,” as described in 65 ILCS 5/11-13-1 et. Seq., and the “Plan Commission,” as described in 65 ILCS 5/11-2-1 et. Seq.
One of the members of said Planning and Zoning Commission at the time of his appointment shall be designated by the Village Board as Chairman of said Planning and Zoning Commission and shall hold said office until a successor is appointed. Such Chairman, or in his absence, the Acting Chairman, may administer oaths and compel the attendance of witnesses.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall have a secretary and may employ a court reporter who shall be recognized as the Planning and Zoning Commission member under the provisions of this ordinance, and the members of the Planning Commission previously appointed under the old ordinance shall be recognized as members thereof, and shall serve for such a period of time as designated at the time of appointment with the time to run from the original date of the original appointment under the old ordinance.Jurisdiction
The Planning and Zoning Commission is hereby vested with the following jurisdiction and authority:
- Prepare and recommend to the Board of Trustees a comprehensive plan, which shall be known as the Official Plan of the Village which shall include all the territory within another municipality.
- Prepare and recommend to the Village Board from time to time changes to the Official Plan.
- Prepare and recommend from time to time recommendations for implementation of the Official Plan.
- To hold Public hearings on proposed amendments to the Village Zoning Ordinance and Development Code.
- Review of requests of plats of subdivision as outlined in the Village Development Code.
- Review of site plans as required by the Village Zoning Ordinance and Development Code.
- Review of other policy issues that the Village Board may forward to the Planning and Zoning Commission for recommendation.
- To hear and decide appeals from any order, requirement, decision or determination made by the Zoning Administrator under this ordinance.
- To hear and pass upon application for variations from the terms provided in this Zoning Ordinance in the manner prescribed by, and subject to, the standards established herein.
All meetings of the Planning and Zoning Commission shall be held at the call of the Chairman and at such other times the Planning and Zoning Commission may determine. If a public hearing is required, there shall be at least fifteen (15) days, but not more than thirty (30) days notice of the time and place of such meeting published in a paper of general circulation in the Village of Richton Park; said notice to contain a statement of the particular purpose of such meetings and a brief description of the location of a property or purpose under consideration at such hearing.
All meetings of the Planning and Zoning Commission shall be open to the public and be in compliance with the Open Meetings Act.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall keep minutes of its proceedings showing the vote of each member upon every question, or if absent of failing to vote, indicating such fact, and shall also keep records of its examinations and other official actions. Findings of fact shall be included in the minutes of each case when required and the reasons for granting or denying such application shall be specified. Every rule, regulation and every order, requirement, decision, or determination of the Planning and Zoning Commission shall immediately be filed in the office of the Zoning Administrator and shall be public record.
The Planning and Zoning Commission shall adopt its own rules of procedure and may require submission to each record, plats and other information necessary to make its determinations. A copy of said rules and procedure, and all recommendations thereto, and shall be filed in the off of the Zoning Administrator.
The minutes of the Planning and Zoning Commission shall be open for public examination at the Zoning Administrator’s office during normal business hours.
Expenses incurred by the Planning and Zoning Commission are to be itemized and shall be borne by the Village of Richton Park.Finality of Decisions of the Planning and Zoning Commission
All decisions and findings of the Planning and Zoning Commission, on appeals or upon application for a variance after a hearing shall, in all instances, be final administrative determination and shall be subject to review by court as by law may be provided. Other decisions may be advisory or final as per other sections of the Zoning Ordinance and Development Code.