The Richton Park and Matteson Police Departments are sponsoring an official “Citizens Police Academy,” open to area residents and business owners.
Do you want to learn about how your local Police Dept performs its duties, makes decisions, and serves the community? Do you have an interest in learning more about Police ethics, investigating crime scenes, and patrol procedures? If you do then we have the program for you!
The Citizens Police Academy is designed to strengthen the bond the community and police. The classes you take will reveal aspects of policing not generally known to the public and give you a sense of what it's like to be a Police Officer.
This special force introduces a standard course as well, as classes will be held on 6 consecutive Thursdays from 7:00pm-9:00pm between the sites of Richton Park and Matteson Police Departments. The curriculum has been designed to give participants a working knowledge of the police department and daily functions. Participants must be at least 18 years old to participate and will be subject to a background check. There is no charge to attend the academy; it’s totally free.
This year will be a shortened, hybrid model rotating between Virtual and In-Person classes.
Scheduled class topics include:
- Class 1 - Introduction, Overview/Tour of Department, Careers in Law Enforcement
- Class 2 - Law & Community
- Class 3 - Real Incidents and Police Psyche
- Class 4 - Police Ethics and Use of Force
- Class 5 - Traffic Stops & Enforcement / Body Cameras / High Speed Chases
- Class 6 - Overview of Field Training and Graduation